Sunday, March 12, 2006

My Take on the World Baseball Classic

So today is actually the first day I've seen any of the World Baseball Classic, and, actually, I'm surprised at how much I'm into it. Granted, it might be the fact that I'm almost literally foaming at the mouth from baseball withdrawal or that I've been doing draft prep for my fantasy baseball draft for 9 of the last 48 hours, but these games sure feel real. Actually--and ESPN frequently points this out--it has an uncanny postseason feel to it. In March.

I caught the last half of the USA-Japan game, it was really a well-played game, full of hype, skill, drama, and controversy. The US (who I'm supposed to be for, I guess) won in the bottom of the 9th on a walk-off single from Alex Rodriguez, my very own keeper in fantasy baseball. I'm thinking of suggesting that I get his stats from the WBC. The controversy stems from an overturned sac fly RBI call, where Buck Martinez argued successfully that the runner at third left before the catch was made. The runner did not leave early, so Japan should have gone ahead at least 4-3 in the top of the 9th.

And right now I'm watching the Puerto Rico-Dominican Republic matchup--it's 3-1 in the top of the 6th, a very well-pitched game (Colon vs J Vasquez). And, again, these teams are good: competitive, emotional, and skilled.

The commentators are constantly pointing out the fact that all of teams are "really into it," but despite, perhaps, all the hype, I'm totally buying it. You know what this means, right? I'll probably be watching baseball daily well into August.

PS--Visit my tenant if you haven't already. Almost time for him to leave...


Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Despite everything I found myself today captivated by that Japan - USA game and then really quite interested in the other two games. Even over college basketball. I don't want to like the WBC but it is kind of interesting. Of course, maybe it's because I'm rooting for the US to blow it that makes me so interested. I'm not a very good Patriot.

Very cool blog, I think I was directed here by Mark Rogers, Super Guy. Added you to my blogroll. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I like your future wife. She was great in the Constant Gardner!

Another note - do you know of anywhere I could create our office pool online - so that if anyone wanted to join, we could all join together somewhere - but our pool would just be us, and not the general public? Thought you might know of one...unless you don't do that sort of gambling...then...well...I'll have to visit other blogs! :)

If you do - email me: mappyb@gmail.com

Lizzie said...

I don't know what my problem is, but I just can't get into the WBC. It's weird, because I too am foaming at the mouth for baseball to start, but the WBC just doesn't float my boat. Always like to hear about a walk-off by A-Rod though. Here's hoping he has another MVP season when the real season starts - both for your fantasy team and my Yanks.

Brian South said...

Brandon: Haha...don't worry about being a good patriot. The catch is that just by watching your supporting the good ole USA. Thanks for the link!

MappyB: Check yo' email, girl! =)

Lizzie: A Yankees fan, eh? How does it feel not to have a soul? I've always wondered. ;)